Saturday, July 24, 2010

Goodbye laptops, hello i-things

And I mean that literally. Here is my own real life example: After a long planning session for issue 5 of the magazine, I packed up my red Dell XPS and resolved not to open it again that day. (It has really become tedious for me to gather up all the cables; first you remove the mouse cable-oh the wireless mice i've used are horrendous and always jerk; then you remove the AC adapter, then you unplug your modem then you pack everything into your laptop bag.)

You get in the car and then remember that you must place the laptop bag somewhere clearly out of sight otherwise you'll become a sitting duck for the laptop thugs that can break into your car and be off with the laptop in under a minute.

Now having successfully managed to go through the evening without touching the laptop (I'd been enjoying the Dixie Chicks Landslide album on the iPod) I remembered that I had to urgently reply a writer who was submitting an article for the magazine. Drat drat...but wait, I have an Orange wireless modem and hey my iPod...Eureka!

Connecting...logged in to my gmail and even with the small pesky keys (Where's the stylus when you need it) I was able to write a decent email to the potential contributor and check my other mail--all in a day's work.

Now, if only I can get my hands on the even more resourceful iPad, why would I ever consider buying a laptop? It is sad, but the way I see it, smaller (read i-things-pod, pad, ped etc) computing gadgets are way more convenient and accessible and are definitely the next big thing. Impromptu board meetings, brainstorming sessions, away from office and need to keep in the loop--small is easy to brandish.

Goodbye laptops, hello i-things.

1 comment:

  1. ...yes easy to brandish and it's getting into a fashion statement as well. I can imagine such kind convenience I would experience with my kind of schedule sometimes. You just made me realize that I need that iPad! The other day I wanted to respond to am e-mail and send an attachment with it, despite the fact that I have my blackberry handy, I still had to get to the office to get the attachment...and hey i had my laptop with me, but then i imagined the time it would take me to connect the dongo, then get the internet connection right, then logon into my inbox...way too long a process. With the iPad I can be able to do that in an instant!

    ReplyDelete